Tuesday, January 20, 2009

White Obama Cake

Last night we gathered our kids around and talked about the historic nature of today's events. We talked about how lucky we all are to have been born in a time where freedom has continued to progress and define itself. We talked about how cool it would be to see Lincoln's Bible. We also talked about our new President of the United States of America.

While none of the Shakers were even remotely leaning towards an Obama victory, we have decided to support the leaders of our great nation. We have decided that our funny jokes (some of them pretty darn hysterical) need to come to an end ... as soon as I'm done making fun of him slaughtering the oath. Sorry, that was uncalled for. But seriously, if you knew this was coming, wouldn't you have practiced or something? Ok I'm done. Anyway, we have decided that we will not become like most of the Obama supporters were as they mocked our Commander In Chief (but we might still mock those supporters).

In light of this momentous day, I suggested that anybody who wanted to stay home from school to watch the inauguration was welcome to do so ... G Man quickly became the most patriotic citizen in the house at this point. So he stayed home (only to find out that they watched it at school) and he created a white Obama cake (this is where the old me would have delivered the perfect joke). We ate the whole cake, and it was delicious.


I don't know what the future of this nation is going to hold. The prospects of this change scare me and intrigue me all at the same time. I am admittedly nervous and worried, but hopeful. If nothing else, maybe Ashton, Demi and all of Hollywood will be able to unite us and bring pride back to the land of opportunity. And if that doesn't work ... we can always just make cake. Because I believe that we can have our cake and eat it too.

6 comments:

onehm said...

I had to read this aloud to DH. We laughed and really enjoyed it!! :) You are awesome.

Tina McKinnon said...

Ok, well... you might have to work really hard not to make fun of him because, along with all the things I'm really afraid of with this new regime, I'm afraid he'll give us lots of material to work with!!!
xox

Tina McKinnon said...

by the way.... love the look of your blog! Good job! xox

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

I liked that he picked a white cake!!! /I did have to shake my head when he did the oath....made me a little nervous..... and not to mention the rev. prayer just alittle off and strange...glad to see you are up and blogging...

Curtis Chicks said...

I'm curious to know what the "perfect joke" would be about the WHITE cake ......

Brandi said...

you should look into the conspiracy theory about why the oath was botched.....interesting.