Monday, June 11, 2007

Hard Week -



It's been kind of a crazy week and I just know that everyone is waiting and waiting for a new post! My goal for this whole blog thing is to try to keep it light, a good read, somewhat entertaining, but light. Well this week has been extremely heavy and I guess some of my posts aren't going to be as upbeat as others. One of our dearest friends, possibly Gary's best friend, was killed in an accident at work on Saturday. He was in a ditch that they were working in and it caved in on him and he died in Gary's arms. Victor was the hardest working man we've ever known and just a great guy. He has worked at Gary's side every day for about four years and he is really going to be missed. So in times like this you try to find the positive, right? Well the positive is that you learn the value of life when someone loses theirs. The kindnesses of true friends come flooding through and the comforter comes forth in full force. We've felt every bit of this in our home. Saturday I was talking to Jake as we were rushing around trying to figure out what to do about all the sadness. I was making sure the house was ok while Gary and I were gone and I asked Jake if everyone was getting along with each other. He said "Mom, I don't think we're going to be fighting for a long, long time." Isn't it great how even the children can sense their gift of life and respect it more during a time of reevaluation. There has been a peace that we really haven't had for awhile in our home. Gary doesn't want to be alone so I found all of the kids piled into our bed Saturday evening keeping him company. This morning I woke up to my sleeping boys on the family room floor who typically have to keep their distance. Kacey has found a new appreciation for her Dad as we both thought that it was him who was killed when we were first told about the news. So this is my positive side of a tragic event. We mourn the loss of Victor, but we are grateful for the reminder of what we still have.


4 comments:

Tina McKinnon said...

Excellent! Thanks for the reminder... it is uplifting to know what we know. And there was Garrison, wrapped in Aunt Kristi's quilt. Special...
mom

Karen said...

Both of those blankets are actually Kristi's. Yep, special.

Tina McKinnon said...

Oh, I didn't recognize Jake's as being Kristi's. Way cool. She was there comforting them!
xox - Mom

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having such a hard week. :(