Thursday, September 3, 2009

It's here ...

It all started when this little guy was about eight-years-old.
Oh my goodness how time has flown!


Keaton wanted to play football. I had never had a child play football before and I was a little nervous about it, but we registered him and purchased our first jock strap together.

Pop Warner was a serious business. The first two weeks they practiced Monday through Thursday for 2 1/2 hours in record breaking heat (because every summer here seems to break some kind of record). The coaches were loud and the parents were louder. I soon found myself feeling like I had found my long lost everything and I was eatin' it up like Mint Chip Ice Cream. Keaton, on the other hand, decided that it was not for him. I remember it like it was yesterday. My sweet, innocent, little boy, clinging for dear life to the headrest on the back of my seat in the car ... and me putting all of my weight into pulling his sweet soul out onto the warm, green grass. I would begin teaching the lesson of commitment & perseverance, and it was a hard lesson to teach.

He finished the year, and year after year he decided to do it again.

Tomorrow this little guy is playing his first game of his last year. A Senior on the Varsity Football Team. I can barely type the words without my chin quivering.

I'm so excited I can't even stand it!

I don't know where the time went, but this boy has given me more joy than I could have ever imagined.

This boy.
This game.
This weekend.
It's here.

GO TOROS!!!


4 comments:

Mrs. Bennett said...

SWEET! Tell him good luck from Jasper.

Kacey's View said...

aaaaaaaahhhhhsdldgohgsho! I'm SOO excited!

Tina McKinnon said...

What a cute picture that first one is!!! Time certainly does fly by! Go Toros!!!

Chris, Mom,and Grandma said...

where have i been to of missed your last three post wow you have had allot going on, yes i too was very sad when it was Willie last year to play but i have a picture of him holding the trophey so it was way worth all of those hard years those games were everything. Didn't realize Gary was gone so much I thnk i would go crazy, hope your mammogram went well just had all that and more done glad another year is behind me. can't believe you have no kids in elementry i will be there for a few more years with Oscar glad for that he keeps us young and laughing well good luck to you all this football season....